Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nothing to Show for It

Have you ever had a work project that takes so long that people start wondering what you're doing? I've got one of those right now. I'm setting up e-Learning programs. We've never done anything like this before so I've had to learn a lot about instructional design, formulating questions, recording audio, converting audio to flash, inserting flash into our learning management system and publishing everything -- along with a smattering of XML so I can troubleshoot when things aren't working properly.

So today, our board Chairman says, "What have you been doing?" In a nice way; not critical. I wasn't really able to explain it. I've rerecorded audio for the first course twice. I've converted it to flash twice. I've deleted and started over twice. Yes, I've wasted time that I would rather not have wasted. But how do you learn to do these things if you can't take a class and you can't hire a consultant? I only know of trial and error. Unfortunately this project has had a bit more error than my usual efforts.

I hope to publish the first course within the next two weeks. Wish me luck. There is still plenty that can go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment