Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Zero Follower Blogging

Last week a friend asked, "Why blog? What is blogging?" I answered that it is a narcissistic tool that people use to publish things that otherwise would never be seen. (Or something very close to that.) My friend said, "Oh, well that explains why you do it." I think -hope- she was kidding, but there definitely is a narcissistic element to blogging. It is the ability to tell people things about yourself, your thoughts and opinions, without interruption. And when your blog is, like mine, blessed with zero followers, there is this temptation to put anything out there. Stuff that you really aren't intending for people to see but have always wanted to say. Very tempting.

I post on a variety of sites: Work-related ones like Linked-in and ConnectIn as well as facebook, twitter (minimally) and a BBC site called the H2G2 (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). I really like H2G2 because it is completely anonymous. I could be posting to a conversation with my neighbor and wouldn't know. It has allowed me to explore concepts in faith and religion with substantially less risk.

Blogs seem to be the opposite of anonymous and yet, because they are so ubiquitous, they still are in a way. (Think zero followers.)

I started blogging because I am following a list of guidelines for developing my understanding of social media. The goal is to see where social media fits in a business world. Should senior staff blog about issues? If so, what is the best way to encourage readership among our target audience? Is there a tool other than blogging that can achieve a better result? Which social media elements are best suited to enhance my employer's impact with its customers?

In the end, of course, it still comes down to thinking you have something to say even if it is something about which no one else cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment