Friday, January 27, 2012

20% and Counting

I've lost over 20% of my body weight in the last six months.  It was achieved through a combination of three things. First, I straightened-out some health issues that were affecting my ability to exercise effectively.  Second, I started exercising regularly including all four components of exercise: balance, stretching, cardio and strength.  Third, for the first time in my life, I counted and recorded calories. 

Counting calories...  I was just never sufficiently interested in managing my weight to bother with counting and recording my food.  It has turned into an interesting exercise for me with an unexpected benefit.  I feel better.  --Not because of the exercise or the weight loss, I've done both before but still had fairly consistent stomach problems,  but because I'm being hyper-vigilant about what and how much I put in my mouth.  The added accountability has made a big difference in my choices and apparently that difference is improving my health.  When I didn't feel good before I just always blamed it on my Celiac's disease and figured that was the way my body worked.  Not so on this diet.  Counting calories, and recording my food intake is, in and of itself, rewarding.

Since I've been eating 1100 calories or less per day my stomach has been happy.  I have yet to figure out if it is because of what I'm eating, lots of protein shakes, lean meat and non-starchy vegetables; what I'm not eating, sugars, refined flours, fats;  or if it is because of how much I'm eating.  Whatever it is, I feel really good.  Eventually I'll need to increase my caloric intake to a more appropriate level but I'm shocked (no that isn't too strong of a word) at how good I feel.

Also, as a final comment, clothing sizes have definitely reset.  When I bought pants two weeks ago I bought the same size I wore in college and I am not the size I was in college.  Oh well.  It still feels good and since I've posted so many blogs about areas I need to improve it also feels good to acknowledge that, at least in this area, I actually am improving.


No comments:

Post a Comment