Monday, September 9, 2013

Harvard Business School and Women

This article by the New York Times regarding efforts The Harvard School of Business was very interesting.  My personal experience is that appearance really matters.  After I lost weight my access to men in positions of authority both within and without my organization increased. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/education/harvard-case-study-gender-equity.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130908#responses-container


Early 2012 vs 2010

   























Summer 2012


Part of the change is internal.  I do understand that my confidence and willingness to take risks changed as I lost weight and became much more active.  But, relating back to the article, the crux of the matter is that my intellect didn't change.  My ability to contribute in a business environment didn't change.  The way people related to me definitely did.

My point then is that we need to be aware that, consciously or not, we create or remove opportunities based on appearance.  In light of that, we should compensate for that behavior even when we believe it isn't happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment